Hawkley is a village of about 300
inhabitants situated about 2 miles from the main
Portsmouth to London road, but with the advantage
that there is very little “through
traffic”. The heart of the village is the
Church, the Green and the Village Hall. The Hawkley
Inn is a popular village pub, which attracts a
variety of external visitors, but particularly
ramblers, who often use the village green as an
assembly point. It is an area of outstanding
natural beauty of mixed farmland, woodlands, with
special features of wooded slopes - the Hangers,
and sunken lanes.
The modern Parish of Hawkley was created in 1894 as
part of the Petersfield Rural District Council
until the 1974 reorganisation of local government
and now is within the East Hampshire District
Council. It has included the small Parish of
Empshott since 1932. Hawkley was not recorded in
the Domesday Survey of 1086 as the manor probably
formed part of Newton Valence with which Hawkley
was closely associated for centuries. Lands
belonging to Robert de Pont de l'Arche passed to
William de Valence in 1252 and subsequently
followed the descent of the manor of Newton
Valence. An old cottage at Lower Green was
originally mill house of Hawkley mill. The ancient
mill belonged to the Bishops of Winchester, was
seized by Adam Gordon but given back by Edward I in
1280. It was later burnt down, rebuilt in 1774 and
used as a cottage from 1882 onwards. The stream
behind the house originally drove the overshot
wheel of the mill.
A dramatic event occurred at Hawkley in 1774:
Gilbert White described how a large part of "the
great woody hanger at Hawkley was torn from its
place and fell down, leaving a high freestone cliff
naked and bare, and resembling the steep cliff of a
The tiny Parish of Empshott was distinguished in a
survey of 1428 as one of the Hampshire Parishes in
which there were fewer than ten inhabitants holding
houses, in 1931 the population had risen to 171.
The manor of Empshott belonged to Edward the
Confessor but was leased to Bundi and Saxi; at the
time of the Domesday Survey it was held by Geoffrey
de Venuz, a marshall to William the Conqueror. The
manor remained in the Venuz family during the
twelfth and thirteenth centuries but by the reign
of Edward II it had passed to Aymer de Valence.
Grange Farm was originally the manor house, and the
manor courts were always held there.
Hawkley Village Plan.
The village plan was presented to EHDC in November 2014 and has now been adopted.To see the plan please click here.